Saturday, August 20, 2011

Songs for the ride

When getting ready for a long car ride, I often think about what I need to do to keep myself entertained. This usually involves making some new playlists on my ipod, getting a book on cd, and/or having a long list of friends to call and chat with. Every time I make a new playlist (as I did for my recent 6 hour drive down to the beach) it never fails: I will listen to that playlist and then somehow I make my way back to my standard "solo car ride songs" which include, but are not limited to:
1. Anything and everything by Celine Dion. With accompanying vocals by me, of course. Power of Love, All By Myself, I Want You to Need Me...I could go on and on....
2. A few of the late 1990s boy band hits, such as Bye, Bye, Bye from 'Nsync, and Quit Playin' Games with my Heart or I Want it that Way by the wonderful Backstreet Boys
3. Mariah Carey. She's in the same group as Celine Dion...anything and everything....Fantasy, Honey, My All...and many more
4. A new addition to this crowd is Beyonce. Girl can sing. Songs like Halo, Listen (from Dreamgirls), and of course Single Ladies will definitely be played in my car.

Basically, I make playlists in vain because it's inevitable that I am going to fall back on these three selections for the majority of the car ride. If you see me driving, I will be that girl who is obviously belting a song at the top of her lungs, holding up a fake microphone and pretending I am Mariah.

No comments:

Post a Comment