Tuesday, August 30, 2011

"That" person

If you are lucky enough to still be in school like I am (total sarcasm), then you will know who I am talking about. Or you can remember from your recent college classes. That person in class who has something to say. About everything. And I mean everything. Lucky for me, I have a few people like this whom I have had the pleasure to have classes with over the past year and a half. I don't know what it is about special ed, but it seems to attract some interesting characters.

The first is the "know-it-all." Nobody likes the know-it-all. Nobody. I don't care if you don't have a life outside of school, don't come to class on the first day having already read the first two chapters of the book and proceed to ask a question about what the author meant on page 25. It makes the rest of us look like fools, even though no teacher really expects the class to be that prepared, especially after summer break.

The next is the "talker." The talker finds the need to comment on everything the teacher says, either in the form of a question, or just a statement, such as, "yea I totally know what you mean." (yes, that happened in my class last night. multiple times.) First of all, the teacher knows what she is talking about and doesn't need your moral support. Second of all, we don't need your comments to prolong our 2 and a half hour class any longer.  This certain girl is also a chronic "nodder." I am lucky enough to sit behind her, and she nods the entire class. I suppose she is trying to convey to the teacher that she really is paying attention and wants to be noticed for that, but for the rest of us, sitting there watching her head bob is slightly annoying. Good thing she sits in the front so she can't see us roll out eyes every time she opens her mouth. This girl is obviously a habitual offender, as everyone in our program dreads having class with her.

I only have 3 more classes left for my degree. Which means I only have to make it through this last semester with the know-it-all and the talker. May the force be with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment